Saturday, February 2, 2008

"Just when I think you couldn't be any dumber, you go and do something like this...and totally redeem yourself!!"

A friend of mine asked me last night if I've had any successful baking attempts lately. Though she didn't refer to it directly, I assumed she was thinking of THIS previous post where I described an utter lack of domestic dignity. Fortnately for me, I was able to admit I had made something I could be proud of. In case anyone is in the mood for a tasty coffee cake, here's an incredibly easy recipe, and you probably already have the ingredients in the kitchen. It tastes the best served warm with fresh strawberries and a glass of cold milk:


Cinnamon Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Cinnamon Crumb Topping:
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
4 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup butter melted
1 cup chopped walnuts (I prefer pecans)

Coffee Cake:
1 package (18 1/4 ounces) white cake mix
1 egg
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. For the Topping, mix flour, sugar and cinnamon in medium bowl. Add melted butter; toss with spatula until large crumbs form. Stir in nuts.

2. For the Cake, beat cake mix, egg, sour cream, butter and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed about 1 minute or just until mixed.

3. Spread evenly in greased and floured 13x9-inch baking pan. Sprinkle with topping mixture.

4. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until cake pulls away from sides of pan.






4 comments:

natalie said...

ooohh sounds yummy!

lbesch said...

Oh my word, that sounds amazing! Can't wait to make it! By the way...when I asked if you had made anything good lately I was really thinking of the horribly over-cooked fish dish I had made the night before. It is comforting knowing I'm not the only wife who has disasters in the kitchen. Way to redeem yourself Lainer! :)

Anonymous said...

Lain,
I can't believe any of you have had disasters in the kitchen. It's not possible.

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.