Wednesday, December 19, 2007

What in the...?

Every now and then I'll do something that makes me feel like a rotten homemaker. I know people make mistakes and I can't expect to be perfect, blah blah blah, but when I do something stupid, it makes me
feel---well...really stupid! This has happened to me twice already this week and it's only Wednesday!! On Monday, I decided to make Sloppy Joe's for dinner. I was careful to follow the recipe, but for whatever reason I left the burner on too hot and while I left it to "simmer" it turned into a charred mess in my pan! Looks like we're having left-over Chinese and and egg sandwich for dinner tonight. Oops.

Well, yesterday at work I got this great idea to make pumpkin bread for the first time ever. On my way home, I even went to the grocey store to make sure I had all the ingredients. Again, I followed the recipe perfectly. I even created my own brown sugar-butter-pecan mixture to sprinkle on top. Ambitious, right? When I poured the batter into the dish, I thought it looked a little full, but I figured it wouldn't rise very much. I was wrong. Not only did it rise, it overflowed all over the place. Fortunately I thought to put a cookie sheet underneath so I didn't have a mess in the oven (the one smart thing I did). Not only that, but when it was finally "cooked" it was really just an over-flowing, 325 degree, 9x5 dish of a brown dough-like substance. My husband, trying to be sweet and supportive, still offered to eat it. He's obviously crazy, and I didn't dare let him for fear it wouldn't even digest in his tummy.

I guess what this new wife can take away from this week's disasters is to enjoy the small victories, like remembering to iron Josh's work shirts before 6:15am, and laugh at the big screw-ups. Let's hope my home-making skills will get better by the time our kids are old enough to know the difference!

PS. Now I'm kind of craving pumpkin bread, so if anyone has a good recipe that is not going to overflow in my oven, I'd love to have it!

2 comments:

natalie said...

great stories...great writing!

Unknown said...

Yeah...tell me about it! At least you cook! :( Can't wait to see you on Saturday! Love ya!