Monday, February 4, 2008

Anyone have some free time?

Much to the pleasure and dismay of my mother, I have been quite the little reader lately. All my life, mom harped on my brothers and I about reading more and spending less time watching TV. Well, mom, it may have taken years, but your influence finally stuck and I'm enjoying books more now than I have in my whole academic career.
I just finished a truly excellent book called A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, by Betty Smith. One of my mom's favorites, I remember her always praising it but I never picked it up for myself. This book is insightful, heart-lifting (and breaking), tragic, honest, humorous, and stirring. Can you tell that I loved it? It made me laugh out loud and tear up--in public places! (Josh called me a dork for that)
Anyway, if you're looking for a good read, I'd recommend it to anyone.

2 comments:

Julie D. said...

I'll put it on my list!

Anonymous said...

Shouldn't the statement be: my brothers and me?
There are so many great books, old and new. I loved Uncle Tom's Cabin. I read it years ago. Thanks to my lovely Laina I have been reading the James Fenimore Cooper Natty Bumppo series. Probably more for guys. If you are interested in Israeli history, O Jerusalem by Larry Collins and Dominique Lapierre was very interesting.
I guess you could always pick up a good cookbook (no more disasters). Just kidding!