Monday, January 14, 2008

Am I the only one?

Since I discovered the world of blogging, it's become a favorite pastime. My husband likes to call me a blog whore. I know, he should be ashamed of his potty mouth, but... I have to admit that he's right. I often get lost in the world of blogging and find myself catching up on the latest in the lives of people I've never met. I find the links are like tractor beams, drawing me in. It makes me wonder. Why are we so interested in other people's lives? Why do paparazzi follow celebs around so we can read about in People magazine? Why are there so many television shows about people's lives and all the problems they have?
Is it because we have a human tendency to look for reasons to covet someone else's lifestyle or belongings? Are we looking to boost our own opinion of ourselves by watching someone else's life spiral downward? Maybe we just simply find pleasure in someone else's joys, and companionship in their struggles. Whether or not we want to admit it, we probably fall into all of these categories at one time or another.
I think my primary motivation is found in the latter. I really enjoy reading about people I knew in college, even if I only knew them remotely. I find encouragement in reading how friends and strangers are finding counsel and guidance in God's Word and mercy. It reminds me that my God is a big God. I am blessed to read about the joys of adoption and motherhood from many other blogs of people I know as well as those all around the US.
I've never been a big Internet junkie. I'd rather watch a movie or have lunch with a friend. But somehow I'm grateful for the chance to experience a little glimpse of what other people experience every day.

4 comments:

Rahul said...

Far from the only one, I get late to office everyday reading blogs and writing blogs. Its a recent obsession for me though.

Julie D. said...

add me to the list of 'blog stalkers'. Its reality TV in real life! Addicting. Its funny though...its amazing how 'real' people are on their blogs. It allows people to get to know people on a deeper level. Not saying face to face contact isn't any good but I have made some 'real life' friends through blogging! :) just another one of my excuses to keep doing it!

Anonymous said...

The world of others is fascinating. What is amazing is the amount of free time people have to enjoy this hobby. You write as if you are a professional. If you haven't already, maybe you should consider a profession in journalism, or working for a hotel.

Laina Diane said...

Haha, Dad. Very funny.