Friday, August 1, 2008

I know, I know...

I'm not old. I'm just starting to feel old. Not in the sense that my knees ache and my eyesight's going. More in the sense that I notice myself saying things like "Who the heck are the Jonas Brothers?" and "Can you believe teenage boys wear skinny jeans? Shouldn't that be restricted to girls?"

So, I started making a list.

When I was young,
I used to doodle my dream prom dress on my notes during church.
Now that I'm old,
Besides notes, I'll write down items I want to remember for my grocery list.

When I was young,
I was excited to start getting credit card offers.
Now that I'm old,
I cringe while writing checks to pay my credit card bills.

When I was young,
I used to constantly argue with my parents over listening to my music in the car.
Now that I'm old,
I drive home from work listening to conservative talk radio on the AM side.

When I was young,
I looked forward to shopping for new school clothes.
Now that I'm old,
I look forward to shopping at Costco.

Is this what it's come to? Have I completely lost touch with all that defined my youth? Is this what I have to look forward to. Because you know the list could go on! But I'd be willing to bet I'm not the only one.

What makes you feel old?...

6 comments:

Julie D. said...

that whole skinny jeans on boys thing flipped me out too! I got stuck behind a bus on the way to school one day...and wondered...'what the heck?'...not my boys, thats all i have to say. Oh, and I totally missed the whole guys wearing their collars up thing!? Ryan's cousins came home from college last year or the year before (?) wearing their collars up and I thought it was a flash back to Grease! oh, my gosh, i am old. However, I AM NOT 30 yet! ;) really, everything makes me feel old lately. just wait, laina, the minute you guys have kids...its 'immediate old'. The hospitals should have warning signs on the doors. ;)

Julie D. said...

now that i think about it...maybe the collar thing was a california thing???...did josh wear his collar up? Ryan's cousins went to school in southern cal.

Anonymous said...

Oh Lainie, I love your sense of humor! Mama

Heidi Jo said...

Hi Laina! Of course I remember you! How fun to be in touch in the blogosphere now! I will have to catch myself up on your life by reading your past entries. Congrats on marriage and being old- ha ha... I hear ya- my husband and I work with Jr. Highers and High Schoolers and I am constantly baffled by their lives and fads. When did we get old?! Great to hear from you! I'm adding you to my list of blogs, so I can keep up with things. : )

Unknown said...

it makes me feel old when some of my old students from work are now about to graduate from high school. weird!

Kirra said...

okay this post is hilarious! i loved it. gosh, it's so true. i dream of costco trips. man how times have changed! :)