Monday, April 14, 2008

A lesson learned

Last night I was ironing a work shirt for Josh to wear this morning. I got about halfway through when I noticed a tear in one of the sleeves. This tear had been there for a while. I held onto the shirt with the intention of fixing the hole. It's about 2 inches long--noticeable. I figured, since I had pulled it out of the pile of clean whites, that he had worn it to work with the tear in it.
"Josh!" I scolded, "This is the shirt with a hole in it. Did you wear this to work? You're not supposed to wear shirts to work when they have holes in them!"
Josh just nodded his head and looked at me with a "who cares. I didn't even notice" look on his face.
This morning, about 45 minutes after I had gotten to work, I had an itch on the back of my neck. Somehow, the 3/4 sleeve got tugged at my left elbow and I tore a 2-inch hole in the back of my shirt between my armpit and shoulder blade. Are you kidding! Right in the beginning of the day? I cringed! My supervisor walked in, and being self-conscious, I showed him right away so we could laugh about it.
Around lunch time I had to go to the post office to mail out our tax forms. You can imagine how busy the post office was. The day before taxes are due? And it's not like I could wait on it for another day and another shirt. So, there I am in line with about 50 other people, trying very hard to stand up very straight so that the hole in the back of my shirt wouldn't be noticeable. How embarrassing.
Later on, back at my desk, my supervisor came over to talk to me about something. I was telling him some story and (like I'm known for doing) I was waving my arms for emphasis. Mid-story, he stopped me to point out another 2 inch-long tear on my right sleeve in the front, close to my armpit. Turning red with embarrassment (another thing I'm known for doing), I remembered how I had scolded Josh for his own indiscretion just last night.
Moral of the story: Always take an extra shirt with you to work, just in case the one you're wearing is ridden with holes. Oh yeah...and something about not being a scolding-hypocritical-shame-on-you kind of wife. I guess I owe someone an apology.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know that I would run to the computer to blog about a moment like that. I admire you for being transparent, because whether we admit it or not, us wives are really good at pointing out our husbands faults. Sounds like you and your husband are doing well - that's awesome. I wish we could hang out again, but Kyle and I moved to Oregon... maybe when we come down to visit, huh? My email is kyleandmary06@yahoo.com if you want to send me an update on your life, hint hint.

God Bless you Laina!
-Mary Richardson (formally Precht)

Unknown said...

Lainer,
You're so darn funny! Cool that Mary wrote! Thanks for having tea today! I loved it!