Friday, April 24, 2009

Fearfully and Wonderfully Made



Jackson Jett Villaflor was born on 4/23 at 9:05am. Weighing in at 5lb 15oz and 18.5 in long.
I guess you could say that I've done some pretty cool things in my life. I've traveled abroad, bungee jumped, snorkeled in the Red Sea, vacationed in some amazing places, but yesterday....

Yesterday, I experienced something that I will always remember as one of the highlights of my life. I was fortunate to witness my best friend give birth to a beautiful little baby boy.

I had been there all night and left the hospital around 5am to get a little sleep. We all thought the labor had slowed down and we'd have a good amount of hours left. That was not the case, and a little after 7am, I got a text saying "come now". I immediately left the house and when I walked into the hospital room, Emilie was pushing.

I was pretty much in tears off and on from that point until about an hour or so after he was born, full of excitement, and rejoicing over God's design. Switching back and forth between acting as the official face-fanner and vidoegrapher. Quick looks at Renelle and more tears. Little comments from Emilie that would break the intensity with a little laughter, and then result in tears. I cried tears of excitement, tears of compassion for her, tears of thankfulness to God, tears over Renelle's tears, tears at Brice's adoration for his wife, tears at Brice's excellent coaching, and then finally tears to welcome this amazing little life into the world. You'd think I'm teared out, but I can feel them welling up in my eyes as I type.

I didn't go to the hospital expecting to be in the delivery room, so I hadn't anticipated what my reaction would be to. Even now it's hard to describe. I felt thrilled, honored, blessed, and I had an overwhelming sense of love for my dear friend and her new family. Those feeling were only strengthened when she asked Josh and I to be Jackson's Godparents. I consider it a privilege and it gives me great pleasure to know the special role that we will play in his life.

One of my favorite moments of the day was in the post-pardum recovery room. Everyone was pretty much gone. Brice and Emilie were both finally asleep and Renelle had to leave the room for a little while. I sat in a rocker, holding Jackson in my arms, looked down at his peacefully sleeping face, and just prayed over him. I asked the LORD to bless him with the gift of salvation and with an intimate walk with Jesus. I asked the LORD to make him godly, loving, confident, compassionate, independant, tender-hearted, and handsome. That God would give him strong hands to serve Him, and feet to spread the Gospel. And that those around him would be a constant encouragement and example for his own relationship with Jesus Christ. Myself included.

I can't imagine how much love his own mother must feel for him, but my heart is just bursting!


Check out those contractions on the bottom! Emilie did so amazing!



Just minutes old. What a skinny little guy!



The proud Papa!


His first mohawk! Right after his first bath.


Holding on to his Auntie Laina for the first time.

3 comments:

Renelle Davis said...

I pretty much cried through this entire post! To be there with Emilie & Brice, and YOU, was SO amazing and I'm so glad everything worked out the way it did. What an incredible thing to be a part of, eh?!? :) I love you to pieces and I'm so glad to have you in my life and I'm so glad Emilie & Brice have you as well. You & Josh will make awesome godparents! :)

Julie D. said...

first...so glad you are back...second...that was a beautiful post. congratulations to your friend and to you and Josh, the new Godparents! ;) The miracle of life is truly amazing.

Unknown said...

You're not the only one with tears...
That was beautiful and enjoyable to read. I am so glad you were in there with me! Love ya!